One key to reading well is to understand many vocabulary words. Is there a fun way to learn new vocabulary words? How about learning through online vocabulary games?
http://www.vocabulary.co.il offers many kinds of vocabulary learning games, a few of which are described below.
- Prefixes offers matching games for various grade levels. For third through fifth graders, four prefixes appear on the left and four meanings appear on the right. Click on one prefix; then click on its matching meaning and a line connects them. When all four have been matched, click on the “check answers” tab, and check marks appear in front of the correct matches.
- Foreign-language offers matching and other games for English-Spanish, English-French, English-German, and English-Latin learners.
- Word scrambles ask the player tot unscramble given letters to form a word. You can press “hint” for help. A clock keeps track of your speed in finding the correct word.
- Idiom games include matching games and choosing the right meaning of a phrase from four possible choices.
- Spelling games include word searches, unscrambling of words and choosing the correct part of speech for a given word.
- Syllable games ask the player to divide words into syllables.
- SAT vocabulary games offer various kinds of word-building games for older kids.
Twenty-four different kinds of vocabulary learning are offered, and from them, usually there are many choices in kinds of games to play and age or grade level choices.